Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Book Club: Chapter II



                “The only salad I’m tossing is a spring mix!” Toni said. Of course her timing would match up to the moment the waiter brought our appetizers to the table. 
Toni, Ebony and I were at our monthly book club rendezvous at P.F Changs downtown in the city.  Toni was a partner in a firm down the street.  Cognac complexion with green eyes in the sun and brown eyes otherwise.  She could be loud and boisterous to the untrained ear and eye; after all she was a lawyer.  We knew her better than that.  We knew her bark was bigger than her bite, though her bite was well worth the pain.  At least that what all the eligible courters we’d known her to go through said.  She was quite the catch.  She just needed to find the happy medium in knowing that and sharing that. 
Ebony, on the other hand, was a psychologist with a practice about 20 minutes away in the neighboring city.  Her job could be overwhelming, but she loved what she did and we loved hearing the shit other people dealt with.  We weren’t happy they struggled with daily issues; we were just relieved to know we weren’t the only ones dealing with the shit.  Ebony was perfect for the job.  She had a warm smile, infectious laugh, and a voice as smooth as peanut butter.  Just like peanut butter on the roof of someone’s mouth, she left most who came her way speechless, even if only momentarily.  I’m sure her deep cocoa skin, shoulder length locs, and thick, but well proportioned frame didn’t hurt things either.
                “What happened to being open minded?  I thought that’s why we were doing this in the first place!” Ebony countered as she reached across Toni for the soy sauce.
                “I am open minded!  Otherwise I wouldn’t be here.  We all know we have an inner beast.  We’re just trying to figure out how to let that bitch out of the cage without it destroying everything.   What you need to be asking is where the hell Jazz is.  She always bails!  She’s probably wrist deep, hand jacked  up in some broads---” Toni started before Ebony interjected looking around to see if anyone at the surrounding tables was giving us funny looks because of Toni’s outburst.
                “I told you she said she had a meeting that would probably run late tonight.  You know how Jazz is though.  She’s the Vice President for marketing at her company.  She’s running the meeting tonight; she runs the meetings every night.  If anything happens to ‘run late’ it’s because she wanted it to.  I can’t be mad at the girl though.  That was what we all said we’d be doing, right?  We’re supposed to be letting our inner beast bark!  Besides, we’re four strong beautiful black lesbians.  There’s bound to be someone who can tame the kitty.” Ebony said giggling.
                “Girl, tell me about it.  I feel like I need a damn zookeeper.” Toni said rolling her eyes, almost in what seemed like disgust at her own choice of celibacy four months ago.  Ebony, Jazz, and I decided that’s why her ass was so bitter sometimes.
The restaurant was dimly lit.  I won’t say it was packed, but it was full.  We sat in the middle of the restaurant at a table meant for four people.  Of course Jazz’s seat was empty.  I doubted highly that it would be sat in tonight.  She had other spaces to fill.
                “Christian, why are you so quiet?  Your eyes are all glazed over like a Krispy Kreme donut from down the street girl.  What’s going on?  What juicy tidbit did you decide to share with us this month?” Ebony asked.
                “Oh girl I’m fine.” I laughed lightly ignoring her last question.
I was struggling trying to stay focused on the conversation at the table.   This was nothing new.  Jazz, Toni, Ebony and I had been meeting every month or so for the past year for our ‘book club’.   We were friends of friends who met at parties or other random social functions who just hit it off well.  We all were avid readers, and upon going to each other’s homes, became fond of each other’s collections.  We all had read some of the classics, but there were a lot of special titles, ranging from the African Diaspora to religion to sex.   Somehow everything always ended up being about sex.   Speaking so freely about our sexual desires and interests, we began to acknowledge what was holding us back.  We’d all come to the conclusion it was the fear of the unknown and fear of being judged.  This club was put into place to essentially say, fuck all of that; damn near in a literal sense.
                “You haven’t even touched your food.  We all know how much you love calamari.  We also know how much you hate it when it gets cold.  Spill it.” She insisted.
                “Toni what’s with you and tossing salad?” I asked trying to divert the conversation back onto Toni and off of me, and eating my calamari.  Ebony was right.  Luckily my food was still warm.
                “Girl I told you about that time I tried that shit with Thai.  We thought we were supposed to use an enema for something.  We just didn’t use it right, I guess.  Shit just went wrong. All wrong.  Long story less long, I had a bad experience!” Toni confessed.
The three of us broke into a roar of laughter.  I’m sure we had all been in Toni’s shoes more than once and knew the feeling all too well.  Thank God the party of 15 behind us had the restaurant crew singing happy birthday to someone at their table.  Otherwise all eyes would have been on us as loud as we were.
                “What did I miss?  Damn!  I always miss out on the best parts.”  Jazz said giving me a wink as she sat down in the chair opposite me. 
She was as gorgeous as ever.  I always said she was the complexion of burnt sugar with a splash of milk.  Caramel I guess.  Our eyes met as she unbuttoned the top button on her crisp white ruffle-chested sleeveless blouse.  Despite the fact that it wasn’t buttoned all the way up to begin with; I suppose she deemed it appropriate for the atmosphere to show a little more skin.  Although I hadn’t been too focused on the conversation with Ebony and Toni, Jazz’s arrival was like a dash of cayenne.  I think it might have been the way she looked at me.  Perhaps it was her smell; something like vanilla chai and musk.  Shit was addictive.  Although the opportunity had presented itself for the two of us to tango, I didn’t want Jazz sexually.  I just loved her energy.  She made me hot.  I don’t just mean horny.  I mean hot.  She made me sweat everywhere from my forehead down to my loins.  She left me with this burning desire to extinguish the flames.  I believe that’s what drew me in to Erin so much at the bookstore.  I couldn’t stop thinking about her.
                “You made it!” Toni exclaimed.
                “Girl yes.  I told you about how that meeting might run over.  Well, let’s just say it wasn’t nearly as long as I expected.” Jazz explained.  That just meant she didn’t get the ass she was expecting to get.
                “So Jazz let’s just cut to the chase.  How do you feel about tossing salad?” Ebony asked her.  Leave it to Eb to cut out all the bullshit.
                “Damn.  Ha!  Well I mean you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do.  I love to eat and closed mouths don’t get fed.” Jazz said giggling.
                “Mouths aren’t the only things that need to be open.” Ebony scoffed.  She was almost at month number 5 of celibacy.  We found ourselves making exceptions for her dryness at times.  Literally and figuratively. 
                “Good evening ma’am.  Can I start you off with something to drink?” the waiter asked Jazz.  If I knew her the way I thought I did, she’d want something simultaneously subtle and strong.
                “I’ll have the plum wine and a glass of water please.  No lemon, no ice.” She said.  I was right.
                “Yes ma’am.  I’ll be back right away with your drinks.” He said with a smile and a wink flashing his beautifully white teeth. He was making sure he got a decent tip.  I don’t blame him.
                “So, have we started sharing for interesting reads already?  Don’t be mad at me but I’m still in the process of finding something worthy to share.” Jazz admitted. 
                We had.  Ebony started with the art to role playing.  I zoned in and out as she engaged Toni on how to wear some costume dealing with a spatula and latex body suit.   Toni had gone on and on about the do’s and don’ts to eating ass just right.  I couldn’t say much because I didn’t listen much.  What I did hear though did nothing but stimulate the continuous daydreams in my mind of the possibilities with Erin.  I just knew I could teach her a few things.  Problem was, I hadn’t heard from her since my trip to the book store earlier today.  I wonder if the cashier even passed along my note.  Damn.  Well I can still dream about it.
                “Yeah, we did.  We’re actually waiting on Christian to stop day dreaming and teach---“ Toni started before a loud vibration on the table interrupted her.  It was my phone with a message from an unknown number:
                                Christian,
                                The pleasure was mine.  If I know nothing else about what you have in mind, I do know that I’m open to it.  Where’s class?  -Erin
                “Guess we should reschedule this meeting.” Toni said abruptly.  I guess they could tell from my instant glow and gathering of my belongings mixed with frantic texting that I would be needing to cut out early.  We had an understanding; they knew this was urgent.  The beast was emerging.
                “Her name’s Erin.  We met at Barnes and Noble 3 hours ago.  The sex aisle.” I said with a wink before  leaving a twenty dollar bill on the table to cover my tab. I had lessons to give.

4 comments:

  1. I like! Next chapter please. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was great! I can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes! You have a way with words and descriptions my dear. Can't wait til Chapter 3 :)

    ReplyDelete